WHETHER YOU ARE ATTENDING A PARTY THIS YEAR OR ENTERTAINING YOUR FAMILY AT HOME, TRY THESE COLORFULLY HEALTHY RECIPES THAT EVERYONE WILL LOVE!
Independence Day Parties do not have to be something that guests must recover from nutritionally! Food should never be something that we feel digestively or emotionally “bad” after eating. One of my all-time favorite quotes are the beautiful words of Hippocrates, the father of Western Medicine, 460-377BC “Let Food be Thy Medicine & Thy Medicine be Thy Food”. We can fuel our bodies with nutritious meals while enjoying great taste. Try these deliciously healthy recipes and spread the gift of health! The dessert recipe is my favorite!
4th of July Kabobs
Make the kids work on their small motor skills by Skewering Raspberries, blueberries and banana slices and placing them on a fun colorful plate for serving!
Use star cutters to make fruit fun! Fruit is the easiest way to add both health and color to the table.
Mediterranean Kale Salad
This nutrient packed salad is gorgeous enough to be a centerpiece but is sure to become a staple recipe for your family and friends. 2 bunches of julienned Dino kale, stems removed 2 T grapeseed oil 2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice 1/2 t Himalayan pink salt 1/4 C pine nuts 1/4 C raisins or sliced kalamata olives 1 diced red bell pepper ¼ C blueberries 1/4 t fresh ground black pepper Julianne the kale by slicing leaves into thin strips. Combine all ingredients in a single bowl and mix thoroughly. Season to taste with the pepper. This is a fantastic salad that can be made a day ahead!
Grilled Meat Kabobs With Festive Veggies
Use a variety of vegetables and meats to pull off festive kabobs. I love the way that kabobs encourage increased veggie consumption. Eating food off a stick is magical to kids. They are more likely to try different tastes, textures and colors when eating food in a unique way. This recipe is versatile and can be altered in a million different ways by trying different variations of meats and vegetables. Here is one delicious suggestion:
- 1/4 C Grapeseed oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 t oregano
- Himalayan pink salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 onions
- 3 red peppers
- 2 pound s Organic Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
- Combine oil, garlic, oregano, 1/8 t Himalayan pink salt, and 1/8 t pepper. Let stand while you cut onions, peppers, and sausages into 1 inch servings.
- Thread veggies and meat while alternating onto 12 (12-inch) skewers. Brush skewers lightly with oil mixture.
- Place on preheated grill cover and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Place on platter to serve.
No Bake Watermelon Cake Recipe
Now this dessert recipe is pure brilliance at its best. The Recipe was sent to me by a friend and I am so excited to pay it forward at our annual Tuft Independence Day Party! The best part is that making it is literally “a piece of cake”.
- Coconut Milk Whipped cream
- 1 Large Watermelon cut in a circle like a cake
- Raspberries or Strawberries
- Cut the round ends off of the watermelon and trim the edges carefully from the center of the watermelon.
- Chill for 30 minutes. Pat the watermelon down to dry it.
- Frost it with coconut milk whipped cream
- Embellish the top and sides with fresh raspberries, blueberries, almond slices and any other creativity that you can muster up.
Coconut Milk Whipped Cream Frosting Full-fat can coconut milk (without guar gum listed as an ingredient)
try Native Forest Unsweetened Organic coconut Milk Place the closed can upside down, inside a medium mixing bowl and refrigerate overnight. Flip can right side up and open. Pour the coconut liquid ( which is on the top) into a separate bowl and store for future recipes. Scoop the remaining coconut cream into your chilled bowl. Use electric mixer to whip the cream until fluffy. Add a natural sweetener like coconut sugar before whipping if desired.
Do you have healthy recipes to share this year? We would love to hear from other Body Spartans! Happy Independence Day!
- Get full access to our all of our amazing programs
- Full, custom calculated nutrition
- 10 & 12 week programs
- Instructional videos
- Full workouts
- Triphase, polymorphic, and contest prep style training
- Body composition tracker