There are many low carb diets out there, but which one is BEST for you? With all the options out there it is hard to know which one will help you achieve your goals. In this article we are going to look at the keto diet vs south beach diet. Both can help a person lose weight and both could help with a person’s overall health.
Let’s first look at what the Keto Diet is and how it works.
- Eliminate almost all carbohydrates from diet, essentially starving the body of carbs
- Lower glucose level, which the body usually uses to produce energy
- Induce a state called ketosis, which produces ketones
- Ketones, or energy, are made from fats in the liver
- Properly following the diet will force a person’s body to use the ketones as energy
- To properly follow the diet, a person will need to eliminate: grains, sugar, fruit and tubers, along with cutting out all but 35g of carbs
- A person can eat: meat, leafy greens, high fat dairy, seeds and nuts, avocados, and above ground veggies
- Weight Loss
- Control Blood Sugar
- Increased Mental Focus
- Energy Increase
- Minimizes Hunger
- Minimize medications for an epileptic
- Lowers Cholesterol
- Lower Blood Pressure
- Will Lower Fat-Storing Hormone Levels Secreted by the Pancreas
- Clear up Acne
- Drink Plenty of Water
- Eliminate Snacking
- Minimize Protein Intake
- Exercise, exercise, oh and exercise
- Include Supplements
KETO DIET VS SOUTH BEACH
We have now looked at what the keto diet is how the Keto diet works, now let’s take a look at the South Beach diet.
Now let’s take a look at what the South Beach diet is and how it works.
- Focus is dropping bad carbs and fats and adding in the good carbs and fats
- A person gets 3 meals, 2 snacks and 1 dessert, that is high in protein, a day
- Has 3 phases, depending on how much weight a person wants to lose
- Phase 1 – is 2 weeks and is the most “restrictive” – no starches, fruit juice fruit, whole grains, alcohol or sugary foods. There are strict guidelines to be followed for each meal in this phase. Due to its level of restrictions it is not advised to stay on this phase more than 2 weeks.
- Phase 2 – allows a person to reintroduce the good carbs like fruit, whole-wheat pasta, brown rice and whole-grain bread. Also a person can have a glass of wine with dinner. Stay on this phase until goal weight has been attained.
- Phase 3 – is the maintenance phase, to help a person stay healthy. This is really how a person should live their lives. The guide recommends 3-4 servings of starches, 3 pieces of fruit and 2 T of good fats like olive oil.
- Encourages the use of fresh products, ones that are not man-made
- Weight Loss
- Lower Cholesterol Levels
- Modification in Lifestyle
- Easy to Follow
- Gets rid of Cravings
- Long Term Weight Management
No diet is perfect, and let’s be realistic for a moment, no one wants to go on a diet. However, sometimes we have to jump into a diet to get ourselves healthy and then try to stick with it so we stay healthy. When looking at the keto diet vs South Beach diet a person needs to decide which one he or she can live with the longest.
It does no one any good to choose one over the other and then realize it is not the right one for you. A person will likely stop dieting all together if they choose a program that they have no chance of being able to do. Do not set yourself up for failure.
Think about what your personal goals are and which diet can get you there. Do you want to lose weight? If so, how quickly? Do you want to lower your blood sugar levels? How much time do you have? Do you need/want to lose 10 lbs. for a wedding in 2 months? These are all important questions to answer so you know which diet keto diet vs south beach diet would best help you attain those goals.
Finally, remember no diet will work if you are not fully committed and if you do not exercise. You need to decide being healthier is more important than having that piece of cake. And that you are worth finding the time to squeeze in 20-30 min. of exercise a day.
- Get full access to our all of our amazing programs
- Full, custom calculated nutrition
- 10 & 12 week programs
- Instructional videos
- Full workouts
- Triphase, polymorphic, and contest prep style training
- Body composition tracker