Zero Carb Ideas
For those of you that read my book, Body Spartan: Genesis, you know that part of the diet and nutrition plan is to consume zero carbs for a good portion of the week. This is to deplete your muscles of glycogen and to get your body burning fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates. When your body hits this state, it’s called Ketosis. Unfortunately it’s not as easy as simply eating “no carbs”. You have to calculate the right amount of fats and calories as well so that you don’t muscle waste. I go into extreme detail on this and have even included worksheets in my book, Body Spartan: Genesis. The book is also loaded with recipes of my favorite meals that I eat while I’m on this nutrition program.
With that in mind, it seems like when I’m on this shredding diet, I can never get enough variety in my meals. I mean, a guy can only eat so many hard boiled eggs before your tongue curls up in the back of your mouth and says, “nope”. When that starts to happen, you start to get creative and start experimenting with the foods and condiments that are allowable. Fortunately for you, I’ve experimented for you, wasted food mixtures that taste horrible, and had some serious successes. Here’s one that I discussed briefly in my book but didn’t include a recipe for.
- Deli sliced turkey
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Spicy brown mustard
- Green onions cut into 1/4″ long strips
- Red onion, diced
- Green bell pepper, Julianned
- Baby spinach leaves
- Depending on your required protein intake, lay out the proper number of turkey slices. I usually do half turkey sushi and half hard boiled eggs so that the meal has some variety.
- Next, drizzle a small line of the balsamic vinaigrette on every other turkey slice. Then go back and spread a small amount of mustard and Sriracha on the one’s that you skipped. The idea is to have a little variety.
- Add the green onion to the turkey slices with balsamic vinaigrette and the red onion to the slices with mustard and Sriracha.
- Finally add bell peppers and spinach to all the slices.
- Roll them up and enjoy!
Add a few hard boiled eggs in the mix and you have perfect, zero carb (almost) meal for the anabolic shredding diet that’s in my book. If you use a brand like Columbus from Costco, every two turkey slices has 13 grams of protein, 1 gram of carbs, and 0.5 grams of fat. If you’re not fond of the egg yolks when they are hard boiled, then you will need to get your healthy fats from somewhere else. I like to take 2 Tbsp of almond butter and go to town on it. I’ll literally eat it right off the spoon. Beware though – it’s a sticky mess and you’ll need some water to wash it down. It’s worth the mess though, trust me!
Go get shredded!